“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
—Conan Doyle, “A Scandal in Bohemia” in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
I use quantitative methods to study stratification and inequality based on sexuality and gender from a queer and feminist perspective. In particular, I am interested in (1) the association between sexual orientation and gender identity, and socioeconomic status in Japan, (2) sexual/gender minorities and social attitudes, (3) the measurement of sexual orientation and gender identity in quantitative research, and (4) queer and feminist methodologies.
- Hiramori, Daiki. 2015. “Shokuba ni okeru Seiteki Mainoriti no Konnan: Shunyu oyobi Kinzoku Iyoku no Tahenryo Kaiseki” (Challenges of Sexual and Gender Minorities in the Workplace: Multivariate Analyses of Income and Willingness to Continue Working). Gender and Sexuality 10:91-118.
- Hiramori, Daiki. Forthcoming. “Shakai Kaiso: SOGI ni Motozuku Kaiso Fubyodo” (Social Stratification: Stratification and Inequality Based on SOGI). Pp. XX-XX in LGBT/SOGI and Society, edited by T. Iwamoto and S. Kamano. Kyoto, Japan: Minerva Shobo.
Other Publications (Selected)
- Iwamoto, Takeyoshi, Daiki Hiramori, Shino Naito, and Satoshi Nakano. 2019. “Seiteki Mainoriti no Jisatsu Utsu niyoru Shakaiteki Sonshitsu no Shisan to Hitojisha tono Shunyu Kakusa ni Kansuru Sabei” (An Estimation of Social Loss Due to Suicide and Depression among Sexual/Gender Minorities, and a Survey on Income Disparity between Them and the Non-Minority). The Japan Institute for Labour Policy and Training, JILPT Discussion Paper 19-05.
- Hiramori, Daiki. 2017. “Seiteki Mainoriti ga Hatarakiyasui Shokuba towa?: ‘LGBT ni Kansuru Shokuba Kankyo Anketo’ no Bunseki Kekka kara” (What Do Sexual/Gender Minority-Supportive Workplaces Look Like?: Findings from the ‘Survey on LGBT Issues in the Workplace Environment’). Labour Research 561:10-4.
Research Experience (Selected)
April 2018- (present)
-Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (A), Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)
- Research on the Transformation of Attitudes and Policy towards Sexual Minorities (JSPS KAKENHI Grant Number 18H03652, PI: Kazuya Kawaguchi, $430,300)
April 2018- (present)
Research Group Member
-The Japan Institute for Labour Policy and Training (JILPT)
- Research Group for Estimating the Social Costs Due to Bullying and Harassment toward LGBT People (Chair: Takeyoshi Iwamoto)
April 2016- (present)
-Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B), Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)
- Demography of Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity: Building a Foundation for Research in Japan (JSPS KAKENHI Grant Number 16H03709, PI: Saori Kamano, $157,300)
October 2013- (present)
Research Member (Research Fellow: September 2018-)
-Center for Gender Studies, International Christian University
- Collaborative research between the nonprofit organization Nijiiro Diversity and the Center for Gender Studies at International Christian University: Surveys on LGBT Issues in the Workplace Environment
Program Evaluation Experience
March 2017- (present)
-Center for Evaluation & Research for STEM Equity, University of Washington
- Internal Evaluator (Social Science Researcher: March 2019-) for the Pacific Northwest Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation
- Website: http://depts.washington.edu/cerse/